Sunday, March 30, 2008

Playing with my new lens...and a trip to the hospital


I was just fooling around with my lens when I took these pictures. Nothing particularly special, other than my boys of course!
I realize now the film speed was much too high (do you think, H???? lol) (as they are grainy), but lesson learned.
Jeff and I have been working like crazy and Tyson and Carter have been (or will be this week) going to an amazing care provider we found. They seem to be enjoying it, and I feel more than comfortable...so it's great!
I had to go the hospital on Thursday night as I was experiencing cramping. I should have just listened to my instincts, but instead I listened to Link when they said to go to emerg (of course they would to cover their butts). So we go to the Grey Nuns.
As soon as I said I was having a home birth, I felt as though I was treated differently. They wanted to do every intervention possible (some of which risked infection). I said
no to 2 tests, and was harshly criticized for it; I'm not kidding when I say I had 2 nurses and a doctor in the room trying to persuade me. One of the tests was to perdict if I would go into labor within the next 12 days and was said to be 70% accurate. After I said no, the doctor came into the room and said, good thing you said no to that test as you have to be 24 weeks, and you aren't quite there yet. Shouldn't they have figured that out before they offered me the teste? ARG. If anything I came out of the hospital (still crampy none the less...and with no prognosis) feeling EVEN MORE confident in our decision to have this baby at home, with people who know my birth plan and will do everything possible to achieve it and support me.
Anyway...I'm better now! Just wish I had relied on my instincts a bit more.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Blackbird Pie said...

Ack, sorry to hear about the bad experience at the hospital but glad you are okay.

Anonymous said...

Must be something with the Grey Nuns. After I had my homebirth, we went to the Stollerys for some minor observations. They were very nice there. We transfered to Grey Nuns for (what we were told) a room for the night.
Ended up they wanted to run every stinkin' test in the book on her because of "how" she was delivered. I had no support and I was soooooo mad. They kept her in there ICE room and wouldn't let me nurse her because they though she would aspirate, but they had no problem letting her chug down a bottle. We ended up discharging ourselves which was the best decision for us.
I totally agree with you about trusting your instincts. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing so, especially when it comes to your body and your children. It's nice you stuck up for what you believe in.

miss b said...

sorry you had to go through that becks. *hugs*

The MIKK Family said...

Sorry you had to go through with that, but I am very proud of how strong you are! Good job on holding firm, we all know how hard that can be when pushed by the medical "professionals"!

Hope Walls said...

WOW! Holy great pics, Rebecca!

I'm with the others on this about too much intervention. I am lucky to have a hippy Dr. who let me call the shots in the hospital. I know not everyone is so lucky...

I tell everyone to ignore your brain - it's easily persuaded by logic (which isn't always logical) and to ignore your heart - the heart is fickle and easily tricked. When you close your eyes and your shut off your heart and your brain and there's a nagging feeling pulling from the centre of your body, THAT is your intuition speaking, your guts, and the essence of everything you stand for and believe in. THAT is the only voice you need ever heed, because it will never steer you wrong.