Thursday, December 04, 2008

A tiny little rant.....

I just feel the need to rant and this seems like the perfect place!
I dislike retail with a strong passion. I cannot believe what hours are expected of Jeff right now.
Last week they changed his schedule with a days notice which caused me to cancel two photoshoots AND a night of serving...a total loss of over $450.
(he worked Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday this week...Tuesday he was sick, otherwise he would've been there too).
Next week his schedule is...
Sunday (his birthday might I add...looks like we'll be going to the santa parade alone for the 3rd year in a row), Monday , Tuesday off, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and yes, Saturday.
Can I just add the most important element?
HE DOESNT GET OVERTIME.
Arg. So, not only does he not get paid for what's he's working (a full 8 hour shift...as he's on 6 days a week), but it's looking like I will be quitting my serving job.
Which is like I said, about a 200-250 $ loss every week.
:(
Thank goodness we finished our xmas shopping ahead of time, and thank goodness we agreed to only buy for the boys this year.
I hate to complain. I mean I know that it's a bad time in the economy (trust me we're going to feel it in January when Jeff is 'supposed' to get his bonus, but because it's based on sales, we can probably kiss it goodbye.). But I just can't help it.
It's the holiday season and I feel like a single parent (not Jeff's fault).
He'll be home Christmas eve, hopefully in time to put the boys to bed, and then he has Christmas day off and has to work at 3am on boxing day, for a 12 hour plus shift.
:(
I'm just so bummed out. And if the money was there or they were compensating him somehow, I'd totally be okay with it (maybe). But this year, I just can't. This is the third year we've done this, and I feel so done with it.
But what to do? What's the job situation out there? It just seems like everything is so unstable right now, it frightens me to think of him leaving his job. But at the same time, I need to make an income too, and if I can't based on his job, there needs to be a change.
:(
Sigh. I can't wait for Mexico!
On a happy note....my Grandpa is sending the piano this weekend!!! I'm thrilled...truly. I feel tears coming to my eyes already. Troubling part, we will need 5 guys (or girls if you feel the desire) to help bring it into the house.
Eekkk!!
Any volunteers out there? LOL!

2 comments:

miss b said...

his schedule sucks right now, I'm so happy that you guys are going to get a much needed vacation to Mexico! I hope you have such a great, relaxing time :)

if Sean was in town this weekend I'd totally offer up his muscles for the piano, sorry I can't help out.

The MIKK Family said...

Retail at Christmas sucks, they forget that the workers are human and there is just no such thing as time off. Blech.

Mmm Mexico will be fun! And VERY cool on the piano, just remember to put it the opposite way that your floor beams lie, we have looked into buying one since I play piano and because of the weight you have to be careful of where you place it (against walls, across floor beams to support it, others I might not remember lol)