Friday, July 11, 2008

When will it end?

Seriously, have we been so horrible? A huge dark cloud has been hovering over us for about a month now. The bad luck isn't ending. First a flat tire, then the muffler, then our bank account get skimmed, then EI decides to pay me the absolutely minimum that they have to, oh and I'm only allowed to earn $55 a week, even though I'm not even close to earning the maximum I could. Then we get another flat tire (we plan on getting new tires in the fall), oh and the best part yet.....ready for it? We broke down in the middle of the Anthony Henday today.
Yep, it was awesome. The van just DIED. Thank goodness Jeff was with us. He started making phone calls, only to have his cell phone die. I honestly don't get why we cannot beat the odds or get ahead these past few months. (as tears swell up in my eyes).
I saw Tyson's fall as bad luck too, but good, as he was okay, and it made me realize how unimportant money is. However, when you're stranded on the Henday, with two screaming children, a dog (why she was with us, I have no clue), it's hard to see the good.
After a $200 tow for the van and a $60 cab ride, we're home safe and sound and Jeff is trying to get to work. But the van still needs to be repaired (it's sitting at the shop close to our house), probably the alternator.
:(
I just feel so defeated. I'm trying hard not to. I'm trying to see the light and focus on all of the good that surrounds us, it's just so hard right now.
I cannot understand how EI can pay me so little, yet I'm only allowed to earn $55 a week. How am I supposed to make it work? That's not even a full 8 hour shift at minimum wage.
I don't understand why both vehicles keep breaking down at once.
K...so focus on the good right? That'll turn things around?
Good, good....had an amazing day yesterday with the boys and some friends at the Street Performers Festival (will post pictures next). Loved watching my boy's faces light up when they were amused. Our doula amazingly gave us one of the best gifts one could ever ask for from a doula, I'm surrounded by my lovely family.
I have great friends who take me out for yummy dinners and stop by with their thoughtful children with cards and cookies for Tyson....gosh, just this sentence alone is enough to be thrilled about.
I have one amazing son who is potty training himself and so healthy, vibrant and happy. I have another son who is curious, paitient, sincere and compassionate.
And I get to welcome a new one into the world soon!
There is good! Oh, and hopefully we'll have this baby soon.
Bring on the good.

8 comments:

Chantilly said...

We would stand under your black rain cloud anyday with you McKays.

Cori said...

Nothing to say, other than sending a cyber hug!

The MIKK Family said...

AW Beckie that sucks, I am sorry that everything seems to be going wrong at once :(, it never rains but it pours.

Let me know if you need anything, did you and Jeff want to get out and have a night to yourselves this week? K and I would love to come watch the boys.....

JQ said...

Hi Beckie,

My eyes welled up for you when I was reading this! It's always so hard to see the bright on the other side of the compounding ugly...for us too except we don't have the addition of little tykes quite yet, so I can only imagine! *HUGS*

I sure hope your clouds clear really soon. Thinkin' of you and sending bunches of happy your way.

<3 JQ

Blackbird Pie said...

You forgot to add to your grat list that you are a FANTASTIC mother to your children.

Sorry to hear that there has been more car trouble and EI is looking pitiful. I hope things ease up for you soon.

Rebecca McKay said...

Man it's nice to have great people in my life!
Thanks guys....sniff, sniff. Made me even more grateful!
:)

miss b said...

endless hugs sent your way chickie. sorry so many bad things have happened lately. we've been thinking of you and the girls were so happy to come by and help tyson feel better. things will look up soon, i know they will.

Anonymous said...

aw, becks. :( What a shitty time for you guys. I hope some sun shines on you soon. You've really been through the ringer. Huge hugs, and ice cream too. With toffee sauce. Okay, maybe just the sauce. ;) love you.
steph.