Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Pickle

I think it was last year Auntie Cheryl sent me a glass pickle in a box. I looked at it with it's hook on top to hang on the tree, and thought, why on earth does she want me to hang a pickle on the tree?
Then I found the little poem that was underneath.

“A very old Christmas eve tradition in Germany was to hide a pickle [ornament] deep in the branches of the family Christmas Tree. The parents hung the pickle last after all the other ornaments were in place. In the morning they knew the most observant child would receive an extra gift from St. Nicholas. The first adult who finds the pickle traditionally gets good luck for the whole year.”

We have changed it a little bit. I hide the pickle once a week and then the boys have to find it. Once they find it, they both (Jax next year) get a surprise! So today I hid the pickle and they stared at the tree until they found it. LOL! So they received their prizes and built away.

This is such a fun tradition. They think it's the most fun thing ever. Tyson hid it for Jeff and his prize was a beer (lol). Then the boys hid it for me and my surprise was an amazing drawing on canvas Tyson had done for me. :)

Tyson is so into the spirit of the holidays this year...thinking about making gifts for people. Carter cannot wait! And of course, Jax is Jax, thrilled there is a new HUGE toy in the living room to play with!





No comments: